06/01/21 - We have been informed by SYPTE that at present all school bus services will continue to operate as normal
Travelling to School from January 2021 – Information for Students of Key Workers
You and your children may have concerns and be thinking about new routines to help arrive at school safely. We are providing this information sheet to help you make decisions about your journey. The information is also on our new getting back to school safely webpage: www.sheffield.gov.uk/backtoschoolsafely
In order for children and young people to travel as safely as possible we have worked closely with the Local Authority Public Health Team and SYPTE. We have reviewed government guidance to provide the following information.
Travelling to school
We are asking you to plan your journeys in advance and to think about the routes and ways that you travel, so that everyone has more space to stay safe.
To reduce the transmission of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the best way to travel to and from school is to walk or cycle. It’s a safe, cheap and healthy way to travel.
If you need to travel by car, households should travel separately and avoid car sharing. Please park at least five minutes’ away from school to reduce pollution around schools.
Travelling by school bus
If you need to make other travel plans then use the school bus. Members of the public will not be able to use them, and they will be cleaned before and after each journey. Information about dedicated school buses will soon be available at: https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/journeyplanning/school-buses
Pupils using the school bus should sit with their year group ‘bubble’. This helps replicate the social protective year group bubbles being used in many schools and will also assist with contact tracing should there be any positive cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Pupils will also need to follow the guidance below when using school buses:
• Wash or sanitise their hands before and after using the buses
• Carry tissues and hand sanitiser with them
• Wear face coverings if they are 11 years old and over (unless exempt*)
• Maintain social distancing at bus stops
• Not eat or drink on the buses
• Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms should stay at home and not travel to school.
Travelling by public transport
Try and use public transport only when necessary and follow the guidance, including wearing face coverings onboard and in interchanges and stations. Journeys by public transport may take longer than normal and some routes may be busier than usual.
*If you or your child are exempt from wearing face coverings you can download or print face covering exemption cards from Travel South Yorkshire or collect these from Transport Interchanges. This may help you explain to people in official capacity why you are not wearing a face covering in mandatory settings. Cards can be downloaded here:
If you or anyone in your household is showing symptoms of COVID-19
• If your child or anyone in your household develops symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19) they should not travel to school. Your household should isolate immediately and those with symptoms book a test at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus or by calling 119
• When you receive the COVID-19 test result please follow the guidance on www.sheffield.gov.uk/backtoschoolsafely